It is no secret I am a big fan of birthdays and celebrating them – my birthday 🎉, Jesus’ birthday 🎄, and of course, America’s birthday! 🇺🇸
To say the 4th of July is one of my favorite days of the year is an understatement! As a regular part of my life, I show off my American spirit and wear a lot red, white, and blue (courtesy of #USOLife). So let’s just say, I am more than ready for this birthday party! I also consider myself pretty lucky seeing how I get to celebrate this special day. Thanks to a fantastic job with USO-Metro, I spend the first half of my day recognizing service members at the Washington Nationals game. Later on, I get to watch fireworks over the Nation’s Capital from the monuments. I do not think it gets more American than that!
As we celebrate our freedom and our country, be sure to sparkle in all the right ways! One big way to do this is to honor and respect the flag in all the right ways 🇺🇸 Here are few tips to do so:
- Fly the flag all day! Be sure to keep a light on it when the sun goes down.
- NOTE: If you are hanging the flag rather than flying it, ensure you display it correctly. Here’s how!
- I know it is cute to use plates or napkins that have the American flag on them as a decorative piece, but here is something to keep in mind: Even though it is not technically a real flag, eating off the flag and the act of wiping your mouth or using the flag to clean your hands is disrespectful. Avoid using American flag plates and napkins if possible.
- NOTE: A design of stars and stripes is great, I am referring to the actual American flag printed on something.
- If you are wearing apparel or accessories with the American flag on them, ensure they are tasteful and appropriate. The flag should not be partially displayed (it should always be displayed in it’s entirety), tattered, or “distressed” in any way. You should also never drape yourself in the flag.
- Watch this interview featuring Gary Biggs of Protocol Partners for additional, valuable flag protocol information.
Remember and thank the service members who have fought for and are currently serving to protect our freedoms.
Have a wonderful 4th of July! God Bless America! 🇺🇸